WHAT TO EXPECT!
At Tamalpais CrossFit we want to inspire you… We want to inspire you to work out, to push further then you ever thought possible and to do your best, not just in the gym but also in your everyday life. Our community is full of passionate, supportive people that will gently encourage you.
CLEAN AND GREEN
Our gym is clean and green! We use non-toxic cleaning supplies when ever possible and encourage you to bring your own water bottle to refill with our filtered water (guaranteed to make you strong).
THE LATEST EQUIPMENT
We always have updated and maintained bars, plates (including competition sets), lifting platforms, rowers, GHD's, snatch blocks, yokes, sleds, power cages and racks. Your gym is our gym and we want the best for our members!
Tamalpais CrossFit has an active, friendly and supportive community. Our members participate in competitions, fundraisers and will go out of their way to support each other. Inspiring each other to new goals is innate to our membership. We are happy to welcome you!
- Michael Papes explored a broad spectrum of sports while growing up, from performing as the lead squirrel in the Ice Capades at just four years of age to later avidly playing ice hockey and soccer. While earning his Bachelors degree from the University of Michigan, Michael became a devotee of Taekwondo and has attained the level of Master. His 4th degree black belt is certified with the governing body of Taekwondo, the Kukkiwon.
- His extensive experience teaching martial arts along with an apprenticeship in Iyengar Yoga at the Yoga Circle of Chicago has given him a level of knowledge of movement and coaching unmatched by most.
- With over 20 years of coaching experience, Michael has proven himself among the best. Not only is Michael a national champion in Taekwondo, he has coached at the national and international level in two sports. A 5-time coach at the CrossFit games, Michael uses his passion, knowledge and experience to better every athlete he encounters. Michael has distinguished himself from his peers both through his dedication to his clients and his extensive skill set. Never completely understanding or embracing the “fitness” industry model, Michael found salvation in the CrossFit method. An instant convert from the moment of exposure, Michael made Kelly Starrett’s San Francisco CrossFit home base in 2008 and never looked back.
- Michael has a unique and clear direction for the future. “I will pursue excellence in teaching CrossFit and will literally make the world a better place”
- Aside from teaching CrossFit, Michael’s greatest joy comes from spending time with his young daughter Charlotte. Michael can be found riding the rolling hills of Marin County his daughter holding on yelling at his motorcycle “lightning” to go faster.
- In 2008, Coach Michael passed the original Level II CrossFit certification where his coaching performance was evaluated and approved by: Dave Castro, Adrian Bozman, Todd Widman and Freddie Camacho.
- Michael is also
- CrossFit Certified Level 1 Coach
- CrossFit Certified Level 2 Coach
- CrossFit Certified in Nutrition
- CrossFit Certified Science of Exercise
- CrossFit Certified Gymnastics
- CrossFit Certified Olympic Lifting
- Chasing performance: Movement, mobility & Maintenance
- Master level Taekwondo
- Meshelle is Co-Owner, CF Coach and Olympic Weightlifting Coach at Tamalpais CrossFit. Together, with her awesome husband, Chad, she established 1 CrossFit World Record 2012 and topped the CrossFit women’s snatch ladder. She competes regularly in Olympic Weightlifting at the National level and continues to build a reputation as one of the strongest women on the West Coast.
- Meshelle’s love for CrossFit started the moment she picked up a barbell in her first class. She has been participating, coaching and competing in CrossFit since 2008.
- She is CrossFit Level 1 Certified and has CrossFit specialty certifications in Westside Barbell and Olympic lifting as well as a certification for USA Weightlifting Level I Sports Performance.
- Meshelle is a vegan and takes pride in changing peoples assumptions that vegans are weak.
- 2015 IWF Masters World Cup Champion
- 2015 National Masters Champion
- 2014 World Masters Champion
- 2014 National Masters Champion
- Currently holding 7 World Records, 9 National records in Weightlifting in the 75kg Masters 40-45 class
- Held one CrossFit World Record
- CrossFit Snatch Ladder leader in 2012 at 185lbs.
- CrossFit Level 1 Certified and has
- CrossFit specialty certifications in Westside Barbell,
- CrossFit Self Defense and
- Olympic Weightlifting
- Certification for USA Weightlifting Level I Sports Performance.
- Anne is a proud mother of one daughter, Alia, age 25 who is an aspiring film producer. She was raised in the Bay Area, mostly in Vallejo and went to college at UC Davis.
- Anne received her CrossFit Certified Level 1 in May 2013. She remembers doing her first Crossfit WOD on Feb 8th, 2007; it was a Tabata of pull-ups (in which she did ring rows), push-ups (which she did on her knees), sit-ups (she did crunches), and squats (or not so much squatting, more like a slight bend at the knee).
- 3 years later, at age 40, she was able to do all of these movements and more!
- Anne loves CrossFit and all the wonderful, positive affects it's had on her life: her improved health, strength and new physical skills. She especially loves the community (or communities). "I've lived in a few counties the last 7 years and in each one, I've made lifetime friends through my boxes. In just this last year since I've moved to Marin County, I've met so many amazing people at TCF, that I feel at home. I'm very fortunate and grateful, I have found my passion through CrosFit and it is my commitment as a part of the TCF family to help others improve and to always improve myself and be the best coach I can be."
- CrossFit Level 1 Certificate
- CrossFit Movement & Mobility
- CrossFit Weightlifting
- Clarke is a lawyer by profession and a CrossFitter by passion. He walked into TCF for the first time in early 2010 at the age of 58. At the time, he was a decent recreational runner with no upper body strength. He was only able to do 3-5 push-ups, and could only press at 65#. He was unable to do a pull-up. An overhead squat with a PVC? -- forget about it! But with steady and consistent work, he progressed. By 2012, Clarke had qualified for his first CrossFit Games in the 60+ Masters category and hasn’t stopped since.
- Clarke’s love of competitive CrossFit continues, and also led him to Olympic weightlifting. Among his achievements:
- He has qualified for the CrossFit Games five straight years (2012-2016), finishing in the top 10 four times;
- He has won the NorCal Masters 2-day CrossFit competition four straight years (2013-2016);
- In 2015 he qualified for his first national Olympic weightlifting competition, finishing second in the 77kg, 60+ division;
- In 2016, Clarke qualified for the World Masters Weightlifting Championships in Heinsheim, Germany and finished 10th in the 77kg, 65+ category.
- He began coaching at TCF in 2013, is CrossFit Level I and Level II certified, and has taken several judges and scaling courses.
- CrossFit provides a consistent and objective measurement of progress that fits Clarke’s personality. Yes, he can be a little OCD sometimes, but he is quiet about it. He loves the sense of community that comes from WODs that involve everyone working hard regardless of experience or ability. CrossFit, properly coached, provides improvement over time and Clarke is a great example. He may be the oldest coach at TCF, but you’ll have to work hard to keep up with him.
- Derek is a Marin County native, has been practicing martial arts for over 16 years. He earned his first degree Black Belt at West America Tae Kwon Do in 1999. Since January 2000, Derek has taught at Taylor’s House of Karate, a school owned and operated by his family. Under the instruction of Daythan Taylor, a key instructor at the school, he earned his second degree black belt and in 2006, his third degree. As a teenager, Derek was ranked top four in the country in sparring. In 1998 he held the National Sparring Title.
- Currently he is ranked third in Korean Traditional Forms and fourth for Japanese Traditional Forms. He teaches full time at Taylor’s House of Karate, both karate classes and cardio classes. Derek is a wonderful addition to Tamalpais CrossFit and offers a fun, lighthearted class.
- CrossFit Level 1
- Chad Wilson grew up in Columbus, Ohio and his love of athletics and lifting weights began at an early age. In high school where he played football and wrestled he began to learn a lot about lifting weights. This love of learning continued on thru college where he played football and studied exercise science. During his college days he also began to love the sport of Power Lifting. He even got a chance to lift at Westside Barbell where he continued to learn more about the sport and methods of Power Lifting. Wilson moved to California in 2004 where he met the love of his life Meshelle. Chad continued to lift weights in a traditional setting but the gym scene grew tiresome and that is when he discovered CrossFit.
- Chad competed for the Tamalpais Crossfit gym team in 2011 & 2012 at the Nor Cal Regionals. In 2012, with the help of his much stronger wife, they set a record in the DB Snatch/ Sprint partner WOD. Wilson also holds a PWA (Pacific Weightlifting Record) in the Clean & Jerk of 131 kgs in Masters.
- Though Chad's love for CrossFit is strong, he has recently returned to his roots and has been concentrating more on Power Lifting. His eye for coaching the Bench, Deadlift and Back Squat is impeccable and his down to earth approach is refreshing.
- CrossFit Level 1 Certified and has
- CrossFit specialty certification in Westside Barbell
- CrossFit specialty certification Gymnastics